Wednesday, October 17, 2012

portland, or

I arrived in Portland on Monday night. Fortunately it was easy to find to the house, since Portland has a nice public transit system and it didn't take very long.
I'm staying with friends of Lauren's and Andrea's again and they seem pretty cool - I just haven't seen them much yet, because all of them are working most of the time. So that means I'm a lot by myself which is kinda hard right now, especially because it's a huge contrast to Eugene. I think that's the first time on my trip where a travel partner or just someone close to talk to would be very nice - right now everytime I get comfortable around someone it's time to move on, which is definitely a reason why I wish I had more time.
But I have a bike that I can use, so I can explore on my own :) Portland is a quite big city and it's crazy about biking, almost too crazy, especially when you have no idea where to go. Yesterday i biked 14 miles, and wanted to go to a park and then it was just steep trails, and so exhausting! But I'm slowly getting used to it and today I found some really cool spots along the river and a nice bikepath, far away from cars.
I also feel like Portland is a city of contrasts - it has the ugliest industrial districts and then some very nice and calm ones. And it changes all the time. But overall I think it's a cool place, and I'm gonna give it another chance, eventhough the first day here wasn't the best one. And today was already better! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment