Monday, October 27, 2014

san lorenzo; ecuador

I left Esmeraldas in the first bus that went up to San Lorenzo.
I didn't know much about San Lorenzo, since a friend of mine just recently had told me about it and she didn't know it herself either. But it was on my way to Colombia, and fitted into my plans.
I arrived there in the morning, more than clueless. Still with all my bags I walked through the town, thinking about what I should do. I passed the market and the lively streets of this small town.
The first thing to do was to get rid of my bags. So I asked at a hotel on the main square and they were nice enough to let me leave my backpack there.
A lot lighter I went to find some breakfast, then I sat down at the jetty, ate some bananas, and started drawing. I decided to just enjoy another day at the shore (there wasn't really any beach).
After a short time a group of students came with their guides. They were joking around and rapidly I got involved into the conversation. The students were in town for a music and dance festival, which was taking place that very night. The guides told me a little about it, and soon they left again. To be honest I didn't miss the bunch of 17-year-olds too much. But the information about the festival did make me rethink my plans.
A short while after, a young guy with a beer in his hand came and sat down next to me. He started asking me about what I was doing, and we started talking.
He was very nice and polite, studying medicine in Barcelona and here for a visit at the hospital where he used to work (god knows why someone moves to San Lorenzo ;)).
He told me about the good seafood, and we decided to get lunch together. But it was early still, and so we went to get some beers instead.
We sat down at a table outside, close to the sea, in a little store. Next to us where quite a few other man, watching the soccer game. Apparently it was important.
We drank beer and talked , and drank some more beer. The atmosphere was laid-back and everybody was enjoying their Saturday morning. In a coastal town, mostly inhabited by black people, like San Lorenzo this means that people were talking and joking around on the streets, sound systems blasting reaggaeton were in action with groups sitting around them next to their doors drinking beer and children were laughing and playing.
I felt relaxed and enjoyed the vibes around me, slowly starting to feel the beer and the heat.
After a while we went to get lunch, soup and a huge plate with fish, rice and fried bananas. It was delicious.
By then I had started to suffer a little from the heat, but the fresh lemonade helped me.
After lunch, I was surprised I could still get up from the chair, we took a walk into the direction of the hospital where my new friend used to work.
San Lorenzo isn't what I would call a pretty place, but I liked it's energy a lot. Everybody seems unworried, and people were very talkative and friendly
At the hospital unfortunately nobody let us in, so we went to visit some friend at a bakery.
The two guys were happy to see each other, and talked about what had changed in their lives. I was immediately made feeling comfortable and we were invited some pastries and drinks. I think my stomach was about to burst at that moment. 
After this visit we went to the bus terminal, since it had been closed in the morning. I bought my ticket for the night, and was happy that I found a bus that left later so I could see a little of the festival. 
Then I accompanied my friend to his hotel to get his stuff and bring it to another one. Now I could leave my backpack in his room for a while, and bring it to the bus before the festival started.
The rest of the afternoon we spent resting at the esplanade, then we settled at the big stairs in front of the stage, now occupying the middle of the semi circled main square, to enjoy the festival.
It seemed like the whole town had come together, and again I the laid-back atmosphere of the people here fascinated me.
Even the two military man with their huge guns in their hands, strolling up and down behind me, seemed relaxed and friendly.
The festival itself was like a dream of colors and music - it was just great. Most of the groups danced Marimba, the typical dance of the Afro-cultures in Middle- and South america, but there was also an incredible Salsa group from Colombia and traditional dancers from the Southern mountains of Ecuador. 
Unfortunately I also lost the pictures from there, so you'll have to use your imagination. Or google it ;)
It was definitely a great day, and I was happy I had stopped in San Lorenzo.
I enjoyed the festival as long as I could, then I had to say goodbye to my companion and left for the bus to Otavalo, my last stop before Colombia.
When the bus was just leaving the town, we were stopped by the military. I was a little confused as everybody had to get off the bus and was checked. Men on their bodies, and all women's purses. Then everybody could get back on the bus and nothing more happened. But military presence like this I always take as an indicator for something going on in the area, even though you usually don't even notice it.
Luckily I fell asleep shortly after, eager to arrive.

No comments:

Post a Comment