Thursday, October 30, 2014

otavalo; ecuador

When I got on the bus I knew I would get to Otavalo at around 3 am, so I told the driver if he could wake me up when we get to the terminal, where I wanted to wait for the morning.
When he woke me up, I was ready to get off at the terminal. I could see the streets of the town, and knew we should be there any second. Time passed by and we only stopped along the road. After a while I got up to ask the assistant (in South America there are usually a driver and an assistant on a bus), and he just looked at me and told me that we had already passed Otavalo and that we were never gonna stop at the terminal. The bus now was already on the highway again, heading South to Quito.
I was still sleepy and pissed and didn't know what to do. Then the driver told me he could drop me off at a gas station where I could catch a bus back to Otavalo.
It was about 3:30 in the morning, but I didn't have the choice if I didn't want to go all the way to Quito and back up. So I got off.
It was dark and empty, there was a gas station and some stores, everything closed. I saw a police car and went up to ask them about the situation. I knew I would have to wait until the morning, and I desperately needed some more sleep. Besides, it was cold outside.
The policemen didn't really help when I talked to them. They just didn't care, and told me that it was a safe place. Then they drove off.
And I was left alone, not knowing what to do. The doors were closed, and I didn't want to stay outside. I have to admit that I was a little scared and uneasy about the situation. I went to the bathrooms and found their door open. There was also light. That didn't change the circumstances but light always makes one feel better.
At first I just sat down on the floor, and got out my sleeping bag. I really needed to sleep. But then I started hearing people outside and I had no idea what was going on. I didn't want to go outside to check, so I locked myself into one of the cabins. All the time I tried to figure out if this was a good idea, or if it would just make my situation worse if someone came in.
Afraid and cold I cuddled into my sleeping bag, the two hours until morning passed, and I think I even slept a bit every once in a while.
As soon as I felt there would be light outside I got my stuff together and left. The sky was still dark blue, but the first cars were passing by and it would be day soon.
I got to the road and took the first bus I found back to Otavalo. I was tired as hell, but relieved that the night was over and nothing had happened.

When I got to Otavalo it was still early morning. I got off the bus and just walked along one of the streets I found. I immediatly felt comfortable in the peaceful atmosphere of this Andean town. Otavalo ia famous for its friendly and open-minded people (supposedly they have a talent for learning languages and there were people speaking seven - I never found out if it was true), traditional clothing and great handicraft markets, and there really is a reason why.
There were very few people on the streets, but the ones I met were incredibly nice and helped me out. Soon I got to the main square, and found a place to drop off my backpack right in the center of town.
My plan was just to visit the market and then cross the border to Colombia, but at this time in the morning the market wasn't open yet. People just started to put up their stands, accompanied by wagons and huge bags full of alpaca shawls, wool sweaters and jewelry.
I decided to walk around for a while, find some breakfast and then return to the market place. I visited the food market, but here as well most of the places were still closed. I found a bakery and bought some bread, which I ate at the main square.
By the time most of the stands at the market were opening, and I started to walk around.
I hadn't bought much in all my time in South America and had resisted the beautiful markets, but since I was being a real tourist in Ecuador I thought it would be time to enjoy this now.
I think I was the first person strolling through the market this day, and so I took advantage of the "first-buy" deals. I could've bought the whole market, but I left happy with just some things I'd been wanting to buy for a while.
After the visit to the market, my original plan of going on to Colombia started to fall apart. I was just too tired to be on the road all day and worry about the border crossing and arriving at a new place I didn't know with a new currency in my hands. Besides, I liked Otavalo and wouldn't have mind to spend some more time in this town and also buy some materials to make my own handicrafts.
So I started looking for a hostel to spend the night. I think I walked over the whole town, until I decided to stay at the place right across from where I had left my backpack.
The owner was again the nicest Colombian lady, chatting with me, and giving me a feeling of personal interest. She let me stay for less and I got a great room, right next to the rooftop terrace and with access to the kitchen. She also explained me where to get the best and cheapest food and what to do around Otavalo.
I went to the market again and got some vegetables and quinua. I had a quick lunch at the hostel and then left for a walk to a waterfall.
I walked the whole way, until I got a neighbourhood a little outside. Everybody on the streets was nice and it was a beautiful day. I also noticed that, even though I had only been on the coast for two weeks, I had already been missing the Andes.
From the neighbourhood I walked up a hill and spent my time listening to music and reading in the sun. 
In the afternoon I went back to town, and rested at the hostel, chatting with my new roommate, who had arrived in the meantime. He borrowed me his computer and we tried to rescue my fotos, but unfortunately it didn't work. 
He was good company, but left later in the afternoon. 
After it got dark I went again to the market place, which had been transformed completely. The colorful stands had disappeared, and now the smell of grills and warm food filled the air.
There were a few booths, selling all kinds of food. I think I had to pass the whole row five times until I decided to get some potatoes with salad and a delicious hot drink made out of blackberries and other fruits as dessert.
After dinner I went back to the hostel and got to sleep early.

On the next day I strolled around and went to buy some strings for knotting bracelets. It took me a while to choose the colors, but I was happy when I finally finished and could start making my own stuff.
Then I already had to pack my stuff, make some lunch to take with me and get ready for the border crossing procedure.
I calculated the last money I would need, spent the rest of it and went to find the bus stop.
I was expecting that it would work like anywhere else in Ecuador and Colombia, but after three buses just passed by I started doubting this.
I asked around and got sent to another bus stop. But there neither a bus stopped, and I was starting to get late and worried.
In the end I had to take another bus to get to the bus stop, where the bus to the border was leaving. Fortunately I didn't have to wait long.

The bus ride was rather short and comfortable, and I already started to use my new artwork utensils.
When I got to the border town of Tulcan, it was already dark and I didn't know if I would still find a bus for the last part to the bridge Rumichaca, which marked the border to Colombia. But I did find two guys that were on the same way and so we shared a taxi.
We crossed the border without problems and I changed some money. Since I had never changed money before, I didn't know if it was better to change at the border or in the next town. So I changed a part and kept something as well.
Then we took another taxi which took us across the bridge to the Colombian side.

1 comment:

  1. really enjoy a good long read and this is fabulous feel like i was there with you :)

    ReplyDelete